Monday, November 23, 2015

Keeping the Thanks in Thanksgiving


It's Thanksgiving week.

I'm about to head into the kitchen where I'm making two pie crusts to become pumpkin (from the back of the can) and a bourbon pecan. By Thursday, I will contribute a vegetarian cornbread dressing (from California Cook , corn dip (from my friend, Gordon, who we will not be with this Thanksgiving), the pies, an amazing butternut squash salad (from Jerusalem by Ottelenghi).

I felt a bit anxious last night thinking about all we had to do, about work projects that tend to crop up at the holidays, about being home with my kids and wanting to spend time with them but also worrying about keeping them occupied and not on screens all day, about eating and drinking too much--it all crashed on me.

So, I decided to stop it and made myself head to bed at a reasonable time where I read my book until droopy-eyed. I refrained from list-making and worry.

My trainer convinced her other client, Merideth, contact me to schedule a workout this morning. She did and I committed so there was nothing I could do but get up and go to the gym at my usual time. (Kara says Merideth and I are very similar in our struggles with exercise and is totally playing matchmaker). We did the workout Kara set up for us and I SOOOOO didn't want to go, but am so glad we did it!

This guy who feeds me freelance work texted me very early this morning to say he got me an editing gig and would I have time and I pushed back asking for his deadline before committing (I still don't know what that deadline is). I said my kids are off this week and I wanted to focus on my family. OF COURSE, I'd get a project Thanksgiving Week! Just cuz.

I came back from the gym and finalized my grocery list and took care of that before the crowds of "amateur" cooks clogged up the aisles.

I'm going to take my tasks one step at a time and start with pie crusts, because I know it's a very therapeutic task. I'm going to cue up the "Thanksgiving" playlist I created on Spotify because I DO NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS UNTIL AFTER THANKSGIVING!

I am truly blessed and grateful. I could make a list, but David Campbell and John Bocchino say it better.  If ever there should be a "Thanksgiving" carol, this should be it!




No comments:

Post a Comment