Friday, November 6, 2015

Pain Management


One of the pitfalls if becoming an exercising person, is dealing with pain. I don't say this to complain, but LAWDY, my back has been hurting. The advantage to working with a good professional trainer is that they can usually determine if it's the "good hurt," or an injury and isolate an injury to heal and move on.

Thankfully, Kara has taken my pain seriously. I have really appreciated that. You see, when you are a person that never did anything athletic, really, you are probably a person who has not had much injury. From the little exercise I've done in the past, I know what tired muscles feel like and I know that is a "good hurt." But, back pain is not a good hurt at all.

It looks like embracing some running and high impact cardio has dealt me a little setback. It's too bad, because I actually like the treadmill. I love getting going and zoning out. But, it seems like the pain I'm experiencing is due to that type of exercise.

The old me would just give it all up. Well, actually, the old me wouldn't have gotten this far, so let's get that straight! Ok, so the old me who may have exercised in theory would have taken back pain as a sign to stop, stop it ALL.

This past week I have woken up and a stiffness sets in and it really is unpleasant. Kara has been doing some body work to help work it out and as I get moving it gets better, but the pain has been pretty constant. I was kind of anxious and feeling overwhelmed this morning and I was so close to just not showing up. But, I did. One thing I KNEW when I signed up with a trainer is that I'd commit. I know how to commit to others. So I didn't cancel. I have to trust my trainer that she has the experience to know how to redirect my fitness time and I believe she is.

I showed up. And, even though as I write this I'm still experiencing the back pain, I feel better knowing I kept my appointment. Currently, it feels as though this pain will never go away. Kara says that is not true. I hope she's right!

No comments:

Post a Comment