Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Tortoise In Motion

A couple of things happening this week for me as I press onward...

  • I'm now in my second week of tracking and hitting my calorie goals. I'm using My Fitness Pal and right now, just trying to hit the target that they calculated for me best I can. Last week, this translated to a loss of 1.5 pounds, but because I've been hovering within a four pound range for a year, I am not going to get excited about that until I fall below that zone. SO EVERYONE, KEEP YOUR SHELLS ON. Too soon to celebrate. 
    • It's so weird that even knowing that when I've been successful at weight control, it's because of tracking--I still think it is the hardest thing. Why? I don't know. Why is tracking such a pain in the ass? Right now, I like it, but honestly, it does mean you have to think about food before, during and after eating and I think that's what sucks. I'm not sure what the alternative would be. Also, the physical act of writing it down works better for me than just keying it into My Fitness Pal. I can't explain that either.
  • I'm more committed than ever to showing up to the gym. I don't even worry about what I'll do when I get there because, even now, fully committed, GETTING THERE is still the hardest thing for me. But, the voice that always started screaming about all the things I could be doing is a lot smaller--about a stage whisper. I now know that my 8:30-9:30 slot is booked and I'm work my life around that. I still need to get Thursday in there, but for now Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday are solid. 
    • A friend complimented me on my commitment to exercise, but asked, "So, if you got a full time job, would you still be getting in this amount of exercise." I can't really answer that. But, that is not my reality and I have no intention of going back to a corporate job EVER!
  • I found a used Polar M400 on Amazon Warehouse. Got it for about $60. The Polar family offers some great products, but the interface is just WONKY. I may end up saving up for an Apple Watch after all. I like the devices. I'm very data driven. The FT7 was great, but didn't sync up to anything and if you think the interface on their watches is bad, the website is even worse. Can't someone simplify this stuff for normal people? Still, when not hooked up to the heart rate monitor, the M400 works like a FitBit and it looks cool on my arm, if a bit "man-ish."
    • Still getting used to having this thing on my arm. I'm not so sure wearing a monitor 24/7 is necessary for me so the jury is still out on how useful this is. Perhaps the Apple Watch would be a more all-purpose device. Am I talking myself into an expensive techy toy? Why, yes, I think that I am! But, baby steps. I'm kind of thinking of having that be a reward, if by December, I've finally lost the weight I've been trying to shed for, oh, 10 years or so.
  • I'm feeling pretty good.
    • Not once do I ever say, after I exercise, that I wish I hadn't. Never. Never ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment